Article history: Received: 10-05-2017, Accepted: 25-06-2017, Published online: 25-07-2017
Corresponding author: Akosua Bonsu Karikari
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Karikari AB, Frimpong E, Owusu-Ofori A. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus among patients in a teaching hospital in Ghana. Int J One Health 2017;3:46-49.
Aim: This study determined the prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and assessed the resistance profiles of strains.
Materials and Methods: Inpatients and outpatients of all age groups presenting with sepsis as well as skin and soft tissue infections were screened from October 2006 to March 2007. Resistance to methicillin (oxacillin) and other relevant antibiotics was determined by the Kirby-Bauer disk diffusion and minimum inhibitory concentration (MICs) by the E-test (AB, Biodisk, Solna, Sweden).
Results: Methicillin resistance was 34.8% (87/250), majority (67/87) of which were hospital acquired MRSA. Resistance was 100% to the β-lactams, 78.2% to cotrimoxazole, 75.8% to tetracycline, 59.8% to gentamicin, 56.3% to flucloxacillin, 34.4% to erythromycin, and 32.2% to cefuroxime. MIC ranged from 4-256, 0.125-256, 0.064-32, and 1.5-32, respectively, to oxacillin, gentamicin, cotrimoxazole, and ceftriaxone.
Conclusion: Prevalence of MRSA is high in Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, and routine surveillance should be put in place to monitor the epidemiology of this pathogen.
Keywords: antibiotic resistance, Ghana, Komfo Anokye Teaching Hospital, methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus.
1. The Center for Disease Dynamics Economics and Policy (CDDEP) Website. Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Available from: http://www.cddep.org/resistancemap/mrsa. Accessed on 20-01-2016.
3. Scragg JN, Appelbaum PC, Govender DA. The spectrum of infection and sensitivity of organisms isolated from African and Indian children in a Durban hospital. Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg 1978;72:325-8. [Crossref]
4. Park C, Pearce J. A major outbreak of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus among patients and staff at Johannesburg hospital during 1986-1987. Nurs RSA 1989;4:37-9. [PubMed]
5. Mason PR, Kitai I, Chigonde S. Community acquired Staphylococcal skin infections in rural areas of Zimbabwe. Cent Afr J Med 1991;37:56-60. [PubMed]
6. Boyce JM. Update on resistant Staphylococcus aureus infections. Clin Update Infect Dis 2003;6:1-4.
7. Cosgrove SE, Sakoulas G, Perencevich EN, Schwaber MJ, Karchmer AW, Carmeli Y. Comparison of mortality associated with methicillin-resistant and methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus bacteremia: A meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis 2003;36:53-9. [Crossref] [PubMed]
8. David MZ, Boyle-Vavra S, Zychowski DL, Daum RS. Methicillin-susceptible Staphylococcus aureus as a predominantly healthcare-associated pathogen: A possible reversal of roles? PloS One 2011;6:e18217. [Crossref] [PubMed] [PMC]
10. Odonkor ST, Newman MJ, Addo KK. Prevalence and antibiotic susceptibility profile of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Accra, Ghana. Microb Res 2012;3:84-7. [Crossref]
11. Egyir B, Guardabassi L, Nielsen SS, Larsen J, Addo KK, Newman MJ, et al. Prevalence of nasal carriage and diversity of Staphylococcus aureus among inpatients and hospital staff at Korle-Bu Teaching hospital, Ghana. J Glob Antimicrob Resist 2013;1:189-93. [Crossref] [PubMed]
12. Odai SA. Prevalence of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) at the Brong Ahafo Regional Hospital (Barh), Sunyani. M.Sc. Thesis, Kwame Nkrumah University of Science and Technology; 2016.
13. Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests for Bacteria that Grow Aerobically. 7th ed., Vol. 23. Wayne, Pennsylvania: Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute; 2006.
14. Bustamante ND. MRSA: A Global Threat, MD Thesis, UT Southwestern Medical School; 2011. Available from: http://www.utsouthwestern.edu/edumedia/edufiles/about_us/admin_offices/global_health/mrsa-bustamante.pdf. Accessed on 28-10-2016.
15. Odonkor ST, Addo KK. Evaluation of three methods for detection of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA). Int J Biol Med Res 2010;2:1031-4.
17. Austin TW, Austin MA, McAlear DE, Coleman BT, Osoba AO, Thaqafi AO, et al. MRSA prevalence in a teaching hospital in Western Saudi Arabia. Saudi Med J 2003;24:1313-6. [PubMed]
18. Kesah C, Ben Redjeb S, Odugbemi TO, Boye CS, Dosso M, Ndinya Achola JO, et al. Prevalence of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in eight African hospitals and Malta. Clin Microbiol Infect 2003;9:153-6. [Crossref] [PubMed]
19. Alli OA, Ogbolu DO, Bamigboye KP, Animasaun AA, Oluremi A. Distribution of genes encoding aminoglycoside modifying enzymes amongst methicillin resistant and methicillin susceptible Staphylococcus aureus isolates from Nigerian hospitals. Afr J Microbiol Res 2015;9:318-25. [Crossref]
20. Zetola N, Francis JS, Nuermberger EL, Bishai WR. Community-acquired meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: An emerging threat. Lancet Infect Dis 2005;5:275-86. [Crossref]
21. Andersen BM, Lindemann R, Bergh K, Nesheim BI, Syversen G, Solheim N, et al. Spread of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a neonatal intensive unit associated with understaffing, overcrowding and mixing of patients. J Hosp Infect 2002;50:18-24. [Crossref] [PubMed]
23. Sackey J. Korle-Bu Battles Outbreak of Deadly Bacteria-Local News. Available from: http://www.edition.myjoyonline.com/pages/news/201201/80725.php. Retrieved on 08-12-2012.
24. Kumari DN, Keer V, Hawkey PM. Comparison and application of ribosome spacer DNA amplicon polyrnorphisms and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis for differentiation of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains. Clin Microbiol 1997;35:881.
25. Udo EE, Pearman JW, Grubb WB. Genetic analysis of community isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in Western Australia. J Hosp Infect 1993;25:97-108. [Crossref]
26. Anupurba S, Sen MR, Nath G, Sharma BM, Gulati AK, Mohapatra TM. Prevalence of methicillin resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a tertiary referral hospital in eastern Uttar Pradesh. Indian J Med Microbiol 2003;21:49-51. [PubMed]
29. Gosbell IB, Mercer JL, Neville SA, Crone SA, Chant KG, Jalaludin BB, et al. Non-multiresistant and multiresistant methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in community-acquired infections. Med J Aust 2001;174:627-30. [PubMed]