Article history: Received: 24-11-2015, Accepted: 27-01-2016, Published online: 12-02-2016
Corresponding author: Tossou Jacques Dougnon
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.orgCitation: Dougnon TJ, Chikou A. Morphometric parameters and level of Salmonella and Escherichia coli contamination of Tilapia guineensis and Sarotherodon melanotheron in the waterway of Southern Benin, Int J One Health 2016;2: 1-6.
Aim: The present study aims to evaluate the morphometric parameters and level of Salmonella and Escherichia coli contamination of Tilapia guineensis and Sarotherodon melanotheron in the waterway of Southern Benin.
Materials and Methods: 183 T. guineensis and 195 S. melanotheron were collected from June to July 2014 in four waterways: Lake Aheme, Nokoue Lake, coastal lagoon, and lagoon of Porto-Novo. Weight, total length, and standard length of these fish were evaluated. E. coli and Salmonella spp. were sought in fresh fish.
Results: The results obtained in this study indicate that S. melanotheron presented high-performance of length and weight more than T. guineensis in Aheme Lake and lagoon of Porto-Novo. However, in Nokoue Lake and coastal lagoon, no difference was observed between the two species of fish. As for bacteriological analysis, the population of T. guineensis was more contaminated with E. coli with respective values of 60% and 59.52% in the Nokoue Lake and coastal lagoon than in the two other streams. Regarding the population of S. melanotheron, she was most contaminated in the coastal lagoon with a percentage of 66.66% in Aheme Lake, Nokoue Lake, and the lagoon of Porto-Novo. However, no Salmonella germ was detected in fish analyzed in this study.
Conclusion: It appears that the morphometric parameters and weight of T. guineensis are lower than those of S. melanotheron. The evaluation of the microbiological quality revealed that T. guineensis is more contaminated with E. coli that S. melanotheron.
Keywords: Benin, Escherichia coli, morphometric parameters, Salmonella spp., Sarotherodon melanotheron, Tilapia guineensis.
1. Fish direction (2013). Fish statistic, Benin.
2. Montchowui E, Chikou A, Kogbeto M, Laleye P. Biodiversity and structure of lac Hlan fish community in Benin. Int J Biol Chem Sci 2008;2:196-206.
3. Le Fur B, Wacogne D, Lorre S, Pilet M, Leroi F. Biopreservation applications via microbial cultures in the chain of seafood; In Flores protectrices pour la conservation des aliments Coord. Zagorec M and Christieans S. Versailles, France: Quae. 2012.
4. Olsen SJ, MacKinnon LC, Goulding JS, Bean NH, Slutsker L. Surveillance for foodborne-disease outbreaks - United States, 1993-1997. MMWR CDC Surveill Summ 2000;49:1-62. [PubMed]
5. Agonkpahoun E. Assessment of pollution of continental waters by toxic metals: Case of the Okpara River and Lake Nokoue in Benin. PhD memory Pharmacy, FSS /UAC; 2006. p. 87.
6. Toko-Imorou I, Attakpa YE, Elegbe H. Biological, zootechnic and nutritional performance of Tilapia guineensis in natural environments and breeding. Int J Biol Chem Sci 2010; 4:1629-40.
7. Pilet C, Bourdon L, Toma B, Marchal N, Balbastre C. Medical and Veterinary Bacteriology, Bacterial Systematics. 2nd ed. 2nd print. Paris: Doin Editors; 1981. p. 431.
8. Statistical Analysis System. SAS/STAT User's Guide, Version 6. 4th ed. Cary, NC, USA: SAS Institute; 2006.
9. Fousseni A. Ecology of Tilapia guineensis population Study in fresh waters in southern Benin. Master Thesis in Applied Hydrobiology. University of Abomey, Faculty of Science and Technology; 2013. p. 73.
10. Adejonwo OA, Kolade OY, Ibrahim AO, Oramadike CE, Ozor PA. Proximate and anatomical weight composition of wild brackish Tilapia guineensis and Tilapia melanotheron. Int J Food Saf 2010;12:100-3.
11. Boyd CE, Tucker CS. Pond Aquaculture Water Quality Management. Boston, Dordrecht, London: Kluwer Academic Publishers; 1998. p. 700. [Crossref]
12. Kone T, Teugels GG. Reproductive data of estuarine tilapia (Sarotherodon melanotheron) isolated in a dam lake of West African. Aquat Living Resour 1999; 12:289-93. [Crossref]
13. Halvorsen H, Svenning MA. Growth of Atlantic Salmonparr in fluvial and lacustrine habitats. J Fish Biol 2000;57:145-60.
14. Legendre M. Aquaculture potential of cichlids (Sarotherodon melanotheron, Tilapia guineensis) and Clariidae (Heterobranchus longifilis) indigenous of Ivorian lagoons. PhD Thesis, University Montpellier II; 1991. p. 369.
15. Fontaine P, Legendre M, Vandeputte M, Fostier A. Domestication of new species and sustainable development of fish farming . Cah Agric 2009;18:119-24.
16. Laleye P, Niyonkuru C, Moreau J, Teugels G. Spatial and seasonal distribution of the ichthyofauna of Nokoue Lake, Benin, West Africa. Afr J Aquat Sci 2003;28:151-61. [Crossref]
17. Coulibaly DN. Length-weight relationship in four fish species from the river Sourou in Burkina Faso. Int J Biol Chem Sci 2008;2:331-8.
18. Arslan M, Yidirim A, Bekta S. Length-weight relationships of brown trout, Salmo trutta L, inhabiting Kan Stream, Coruh Basin, North-Eastern Turkey. Turk J Fish Aquat Sci 2004;4:45-8.
19. Fagnon S. Morphological and ecological characterization of populations Sarotherodon melanotheron Ruppell, 1852 (Teleostei, Cichlidae) in fresh and brackish water in Benin. Master memory, EPAC /UAC; 2011. p. 71.
20. Degnon R, Dahouenon-Ahoussi E, Adjou ES, Ayikpe O, Tossou S, Soumanou M, et al. Impact of Post-harvest treatments on the microbiological quality of the lake Aheme shrimp in Benin for export. J Appl Biosci 2012;53:3749-59.
21. Sedogbo YA. Impact of environmental pollution on the quality of the shrimp caught in Benin: South Fishery Nokoue Lake Case. Engineering Diploma Thesis, Polytechnic School of Abomey-Calavi, University of Abomey-Calavi; 2004. p. 106.
22. Badahoui A, Fiogbe E, Boko M. The causes of degradation of the lake Ahemeand it's oak. Int J Biol Chem Sci 2010;4:882-97.
23. Dovonou F, Aina M, Boukari M, Alassane A. Physico-chemical and bacteriological pollution of an aquatic ecosystem and its ecotoxicological risk: Case of Nokoue lake in southern Benin. Int J Biol Chem Sci 2011;5:1590-602.
24. Degnon RG, Agossou V, Adjou ES, Dahouenon-Ahoussi E, Soumanou MM, Sohounhloue CK. Evaluation of the microbiological quality of the mackerel (Trachurus trachurus) during the traditional smoking process. J Appl Biosci 2013;67:5210-8. [Crossref]25. N'diaye A. Contribution to the study of the evolution of the bacteriological quality of fishery products for export in 1998 and 1997 Thesis Med Vet Dakar 1998;17:73.